Meet the Sheriff
FBI National Academy
After graduating from Sylacauga High School in 1992, Sheriff Matthew Wade moved to Jacksonville to attend Jacksonville State University obtaining a Bachelor of Science Degree in Technology in 2000. He continued at his education at JSU by obtaining a Master of Science Degree in Criminal Justice in 2006.
The first deputy to ever be selected from the Sheriff’s Office to attend the F.B.I. National Academy in Quantico, Virginia he graduated in the 226th Session. Sheriff Wade was the first law enforcement executive in the nation to graduate from the Department Homeland Security Leadership Academy, FBI National Academy and National Sheriff’s Institute.
Sheriff Wade joined the Army Reserve while a junior in high school in the split option program. This allowed him to attend basic training during the summer of his junior year at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. After Basic Training, he returned to Sylacauga High School for his senior year. Upon graduation, he attended Aviation Operations Specialist training at Ft. Rucker, Alabama and was placed in an aviation unit in Pell City, Alabama.
In 1996, he began a career in law enforcement at the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office working as a correctional officer through an employment program between sheriff’s office and JSU. He worked his way up the ranks to deputy sheriff, investigator, Emergency Services Team member, and Chief Deputy. Sheriff Wade served as chief deputy for Sheriff Amerson for 12 years.
He was appointed Sheriff following the retirement of Sheriff Amerson in 2016 and is now in his third term as Sheriff.
Sheriff Wade married his high school sweetheart, and he has an adult daughter and son. He previously coached youth baseball and football in Alexandria. Hunting, fishing, and playing the bagpipes are among his hobbies.
- Alabama Peace Officers Standards & Training 112th
- Certified Jail Manager
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Bachelor of Science in Technology
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- County Government by ACCA
- Certified Homeland Protection Professional
- FBI National Academy 226th
- National Sheriff’s Institute 112th
- Department of Homeland Security Leadership Academy (Session 1)
- Nationally Certified Corrections Officer – NIJO
- Secretary of Alabama Sheriff’s Association
- Vice-Chair Calhoun County 911 District
- Vice-Chair Calhoun-Cleburne Children’s Center
- Chairman Mental Health Officer Advisory Board